Established in 1995, the Women’s Congressional Policy Institute (WCPI) is a nonprofit, nonpartisan public policy organization whose mission is to bring women policymakers together across party lines to advance issues of importance to women and their families. WCPI sponsors programming for women Members of Congress and women congressional chiefs of staff, a congressional fellowship program, policy briefings on Capitol Hill, and several signature special events focused on key bipartisan women’s issues.
We are seeking a professional with Hill legislative experience for this position. Reporting to the President and Vice President, the Policy Director will play a critical role in helping to guide, manage, and administer WCPI’s programmatic and legislative work. The Policy Director will provide advice and counsel to senior leadership with regard to long-term policy objectives and management of internal issues. Successful candidates will have a commitment to bipartisan cooperation and women’s leadership in public policy.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Works closely with the president and vice president to develop policy briefings, Member meetings, and other congressional programs;
- Oversees publication of WCPI’s legislative reports;
- Consults with congressional staff, federal agencies, advocacy and community organizations, and other key stakeholders on congressional briefings;
- With senior leadership, coordinates WCPI’s engagement with congressional offices;
- Helps vice president administer and supervise the internship program; and
- Works with senior leadership and staff to promote an internal culture familiar with, focused on, and responsive to, Capitol Hill.
The Position Requires:
- A minimum of one year of substantive Hill experience; this is not an entry-level position;
- Thorough understanding of policy issues important to women and families;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- The ability to manage several projects and priorities at once;
- A self-directed, positive team-player, with a sense of humor;
- Careful attention to detail; and
- Experience with website management, database management, and/or social media is highly desirable.
WCPI promotes equal opportunity and welcomes qualified applicants of any age, gender, race, religion, sexual orientation, experience, and political affiliation.
We offer regular working hours and a generous benefits package. No phone calls please!
Qualified candidates should e-mail a cover letter, resume, and brief writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org; please list “WCPI Policy Director Position” in the subject line. Interviews will begin immediately for selected candidates.