The Communications/Development intern will play a key role in helping expand our outreach and fundraising initiatives. The intern will work closely with the staff to implement the organization’s communications and development plans.
WCPI is seeking a communications/development intern to help implement its comprehensive media and major gifts strategies. Successful interns will have their finger on the pulse of social media and digital outreach and a genuine interest in development/fundraising work. They will have excellent oral and written communication skills; a great sense of humor is a plus.
The internship is open to undergraduate students of all disciplines/majors. Interns are expected to work 35-40 hours per week, Monday through Friday; accommodations can be made for student’s class schedules.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit a cover letter, resume, and a brief statement answering the following:
The Women’s Congressional Policy Institute considers bipartisan women’s political leadership as its core value. Since 1995, our mission of bringing women policymakers together across party lines and women’s leadership programs have set us apart from other advocacy organizations. In 500 words or less, please explain why you are interested in interning at WCPI, specifically, and why our mission and programs are important to you.
The application deadline for each application cycle is 5 p.m. Eastern (no exceptions) and are as follows:
- Summer internship application cycle: Opens December 1- Closes February 15
- Fall internship application cycle: Opens April 20- Closes June 15
- Winter/Spring internship application cycle: Opens September 1- Closes November 15
Please submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate “Communications/Development Internship” in the subject line.
Please note that current circumstances due to COVID-19 may require that WCPI delay, suspend, or cancel acceptance and review of applications in the event we must cancel the fall internship in its entirety. Any decisions about the status of the program will be made well before the June 15 deadline, so please be sure to check our website and social media periodically for further information.
Due to the number of applications we receive, we will not be able to contact individual applicants regarding the status of their applications or the internship program. We appreciate your understanding and patience, and we hope that you and your loved ones remain safe during this difficult time.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist Communications Associate with monitoring various social media sites and updating social media with relevant content as appropriate
- Work with Communications Associate to maintain content on WCPI website, including program-specific video content
- Update WCPI media list with contacts at key Capitol Hill publications
- Work with Communications Associate to strengthen program-specific social media pages (e.g., Facebook Fellowship, intern alumni, etc.)
- Work with the President to identify potential donors
- Work with the President and other staff to develop donor-specific social media campaigns
- Provide administrative support as needed